The Department of Analytical Chemistry was established in the year 2012 at Postgraduate level by introducing Analytical Chemistry specialization course, with Non- CBCS syllabus affiliated to OU, considering the need for trained human resources in the use of Analytical Chemistry tool to the context of socio-economic and sustainable society.
M.SC Analytical Chemistry course was started in the year 2012 with 10 admissions. The faculty members of Analytical Chemistry are appointed through Osmania University selection committee on regular basis. The faculties have been updating their knowledge by attending various seminars, symposiums, workshops, orientation programmes and FDP'S. The strength of students in Analytical Chemistry course is being sustained every year with strength due to heavy demand of the course. From the year 2016 the syllabus was merged with CBCS pattern of Osmania University. The entire admission procedure takes place through online counseling. The analytical chemistry lab is well equipped with adequate number of chemicals, glass ware and instruments.
The Department has two big fully furnished, spacious ventilated class rooms and four huge well equipped laboratories with around hundreds of lab equipments and apparatus including full stock of chemicals and glassware. The Department has huge central library with vast books and journals.
Regular exams are conducted after completion of every unit, internal exams, class tests are conducted in each semester apart from Osmania University theory and practical external exams.75% attendance is mandatory to write the university exams. Ragging is strictly prohibited in the campus. Seminars are assigned to the students. Spoken English and communication classes are also conducted for Telugu medium students for enhancing communication skills.
We organize many curricular and extracurricular activities like students seminars, classroom tests, internal exams ,cultural activities sports day annual day, induction programme, women's day ,youth festival, extension lecturers ,workshops science exhibitions ,PPT presentations, drawing and painting,inter-college competitions, debates, quiz, group discussion, JAM sessions, field trips, industrial tours etc. Academic calendar given by the university is strictly followed. Faculty uses various methodologies in teaching and learning such as practical method, lecture method, ICT method, field visits etc. Department organizes various seminars, extension lectures and guest lectures by eminent professors, scientists, and academicians in order to enrich the subject and also to provide industry and academic collaboration. After the completion of the course 95% students are placed in reputed and famous pharma and industrial labs.
The primary objective of this course is to acquire basic concepts, principles, and techniques of modern analytical chemistry that would empower students with an analytical mind set and the abilities to solve diverse analytical problems in an efficient and quantitative way that conveys the importance of accuracy and precision of the analytical results. On successful completion of this course, students will be able:
- To develop an understanding of the range and uses of analytical methods in chemistry.
- To establish an appreciation of the role of chemistry in quantitative analysis
- To develop an understanding of the broad role of the chemist in measurement and problem solving for analytical tasks.
- To provide an understanding of chemical methods employed for elemental and compound analysis.
- To provide experience in some scientific methods employed in analytical chemistry.
- To develop some understanding of the professional and safety responsibilities residing in working on chemical analysis.
- To provide a basic knowledge and understanding of essential chemical and physical principles for analytical chemistry.
- To introduce basic analytical techniques and practical aspects of classical chemical analysis.
- To solve problems related to chemical analysis and interpret analytical results.
- The Analytical Chemistry Department at KMICS aspires to excel in chemical education, research and services.
- Envisions to provide the state of art chemistry education and to enable students to reach global standards.
- To build foundation for excellence and spur development of the Institution, by igniting and nurturing enthusiasm, interests and passion, in the study of Analytical chemistry, in professional courses ,as a part of curricula.
- To be recognized as a premier educational institution that practices quality pedagogy, encourages innovation and research while installing values and providing a vibrant environment for the holistic development of students into valuable, responsible global competent personalities.
- Focusing on strong mentor-mentee relationship while enhance overall personality of the students and equip them to face future challenges.
- To hone students focus and help to gain depth in their chosen area of study to achieve academic excellence and global competence.
- To provide a platform to actualize student talents and encourage them to mould their passion into profession.
- To motivate the students to purse higher education, appear for competitive exams and other value added programmes for their holistic development.
- To provide opportunity to the students and bring out their inherent talent.
- To encourage students to take competitive exams like NET, CSIR, and SET.
- To extend internet facilities to the department in order to facilitate e-learning.
- The Analytical Chemistry Department is committed to prepare competitive and professional post graduates within an innovative and intellectually stimulating environment, support other academic programs at KMICS by offering quality chemistry learning experiences, build proactive partnerships with industry and offer effective training ,educational and technical services to the society.
- Highly skilled teachers.
- Producing Human Resources.
- FDP encourages all staff for improving and enhancing skill and knowledge.
- Excellent student-teacher relationship.
- Qualified experienced and dedicated faculty members.
- Placement training for job opportunities to maximum level.
- Individual Department Library, one computer and network facility to all departments.
- University gold medals and rank holders with good result performance.
- Less Industry Institute Interaction.
- Less student pursuing higher education.
- Access to extracurricular activities for the students is limited due to vast course syllabus.
- Less number of digital classrooms.
- Students from rural area, so lack of communication skill.
- Collaboration and insufficient tie-ups.
- Placement need to be strengthened.
- To arrange more number of FDP'S / National level / International level conference and seminar.
- To arrange specialized training programme by the faculty.
- Scope for interdisciplinary and sponsored projects.
- To introduce job oriented and skill development, self employed courses and other emerging subjects.
- Research and extension activities in the field of local; culture natural resources and its utilization.
- Huge scope for plantation.
- Inviting guest lecturers for seminars, workshops etc
- To enhance the academic performance through IQAC.
- Academic flexibility in curriculum.
- Broad variety of the quality of the students.
- Over loaded curricula which does not allow students and teachers too much time for extracurricular activities.
- Weak R&D intensity.
- Inadequate financial assistance.
- Telugu medium back ground students are facing difficulty to cope up with the academics.
- Improving language skill.
- Promoting culture and value based education.
- Motivating the students to improve good technical exposure and good communication skill.
- Placement of all students.
- Increase enrolment in the chemistry programs.
- Enhance services to the community.
- Build partnerships with the industry to achieve the department goals.
- To achieve many Distinctions and university top ranks.
- To achieve more Institute-Industry collaboration to the students level.
- Completely digital classrooms.
- Motivating academic culture and providing value based education.
- Encourage more students to take up research works.
- Sustaining the image of the Institution.
- Good placements.
- Social work.
- Attracting world class faculty.
ROLE OF ANALYTICAL CHEMIST IN THE SOCIETY
- Analytical chemists play a critical role as problem solvers in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food testing, life sciences, and cosmetic companies, and analytical chemists with interdisciplinary backgrounds are finding an even greater demand for their skills by employers.
- Analytical chemists assess the chemical structure and nature of substances. Their skills are needed for a variety of purposes including drug development, forensic analysis and toxicology. Analytical chemists can specialize in areas as varied as toxicology, pharmaceuticals and forensics.