ABOUT THE COURSE:
MSc Organic Chemistry started in the year 2009 with 37 admissions. We have 4 Lecturers for 1st year students with organic, Inorganic and physical chemistry specialization, and are appointed through Osmania University Selection Committee on regular basis. For 2nd year students we have 3 organic specialization Lecturers who are also appointed through Selection Committee from Osmania University on regular basis.
Initially we encourage Telugu medium students to improve their communication skills in English by arranging spoken English classes. Gradually student show improvement in their English language.
Regular exams are conducted after completion of every unit, Mid-term exams, Prefinal exams and Seminar by the students to encourage and develop confidence among the students.
After regular theory classes every day we conduct practical's in Inorganic, organic and physical chemistry for 1st and 2nd semester and organic chemistry practical's for 3rd and 4th semester. For which we have sophisticated labs with all chemicals and instruments.
We encourage co-curricular and extra-curricular activities for upgrading students in various fields.
To build foundation for excellence and spur development of the department as a premier department by igniting and nurturing enthusiasm, interest and passion in the study of chemistry in professional courses as a part of curriculum.
The chemistry department prepare students for a diverse and challenging world. We strive to contribute our knowledge in chemistry to the society through teaching.
- To awaken the young minds and discover their talents both in theory and practical chemistry, through dedication to teaching commitment to students and innovative instructional methods.
- To support the developmental activities of the Organic Chemistry Department and make it vibrant.
- To produce post graduates with distinction, committed to integrity and professionalism.
- To offer courses of global standard.
- To encourage students to take competitive exams like NET & SLET.
The main objective of the organic chemistry course is that the student will have a firm foundation in the fundamentals and application of current chemical and scientific theories including those in organic, Inorganic, physical and Analytical chemistry.
After completion of the course, it gives us a glimpse into the fascinating but complicated world of chemical reactions and structure of organic molecules and opens the window to solve countless medical and ecological problems.
- They develop most important challenges in organic chemistry that is to synthesis complexes and study their applications.
- It develops knowledge to design and carry out scientific experiments as well as accurately record and analyse the results of all experiments.
- Students will be able to clearly communicate the results of scientific work in oral, written and electronic formats to both scientific and industrial areas.
- Students will be skilled in problem solving, critical thinking and analytical reasoning as applied to scientific problems.
- Students acquire great memory and also firm understanding of biological and chemical concepts, it tells people how life exists and how the world works.
- Students will acquire determination to learn concepts and apply them in research skills.
Role of Organic Chemistry in the Society:
- Knowledge of organic chemistry helps the pharmacist/chemists to synthesize new compounds or molecules for different medicines to increase or enhance the therapeutic effects of that drug.
- Organic chemists usually conduct research and development in a laboratory setting. Projects that would use organic chemists would include the development of a better pain killing drug for example formulating a shampoo that would result in silkier hair making a stain resistant carpet or finding a non-toxic insect repellent etc.